« Home | Pain in my neck...literally » | My favourite dress/"The baby" » | Translations...some I knew, some are totally new t... » | Did you know.....?/Leaving Bath » | More Europe » | Cancer and the continuing saga of Juan » | Jua Lui Corder Gome » | Exam Time » | No, he didn't » | WHAT BABY?? » 

6.22.2005

Portion Size

I've always heard it, but never really thought there could be that much difference. But seriously, food in America is definitely served in MUCH bigger portions than in England[and I'm guessing the rest of the world] and I've come to this realization based on a few key moments I've had in Bath.

The first one was a couple of weeks after I got to Bath, when I went to the fancy Pizza Hut and ordered a 'medium' pizza. When I got it, I remember saying to myself "What the hell is this? This is not a medium, it's a small!" I don't even know if they do sell small, but it must be microscopic if what I got was a medium. I felt like a true American after that thought crossed my mind.

The second occurrence was the first time I went to a restaurant called 'Hong Kong Bistro', now one of my favorite places to eat. I remember saying to Moussa that I couldn't believe I just ate everything on my plate. At first I just attributed this to what I ordered being extremely delicious. He looked at me as if that was weird and I told him it really was because, at home, I've never ever been able to finish a meal...I always have to take some home with me. And this is the case with everybody in America. You ask for a box to take your leftovers home. I realize this doesn't really happen in England though. I've never seen a person walk out of a restaurant with something in their hand, unless it was specifically ordered 'to go'.

Translation: To go = Take away

Another occurence was yesterday, when I went to Caffe Uno by Pulteney Bridge. I ordered some sort of spaghetti dish and actually managed to eat it all. And this time, it wasn't because the food was sooo freaking delicious that I just had to eat it all. It was simply because it wasn't a shit load of food! Let's jut say I continue to be amazed by this little fact. At one point, Mabu brought up Cheesecake Factory in the US, saying she'd never been there before and she asked me if they served a lot of food. I told her both our plates combined would be ONE dish at the Factory of Cheesecake. Sad but true.

We also talked about how I should visit her when she's in Canada for school next year seeing as how she's gonna be there for a whole year. Yay. Montreal, here I come.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Speak now or forever hold your your peace