« Home | Eurovision: Crappy music at it's best » | WHAATT?? » | The Manual of Falconry » | YAYUH! » | Fear » | Fruit shouldn't disappoint me » | New site » | Shuffle Game » | Cigarettes are vitamins? » | My new favourite song.... » 

5.23.2005

Life's little happenings

I realize I haven't really talked about what I've done recently so here's a quick recap, so I myself can remember, of course:

1. Sunday - Had a traditional English 'Sunday Lunch.' Since I wanted to see if this myth about how English people only boil their foods was true, I was looking forward to seeing what traditional English food is like. Ive been hearing about this for a while, and when my roommates heard that I hadn't had one yet, they said we simply must go out and eat. At first, my roommate Lydia had offered to cook instead since she's the Martha Stewart of the house and all, but that plan got scrapped and we went to some tavern instead. I must say it was delicious! Heart attack delicious but nevertheless good! You can pick your meat[lamb, chicken, or beef...we all went with lamb]; the lamb came with roast potatoes, carrots, cauliflowers, some other salad looking thingie and mashed sweet potatoes. They also had some mint paste sauce looking thing which everyone else seemed to love, but I wasn't too hot 'bout. Lydia and Claire consumed the bottle of wine which came free with the meal as we talked and I told them about the stereotype; they hastily replied "we don't boil everything!" Then Lydia explained to me where it might have come from...something about post-war depression and since water was free, that was the main way to cook stuff. Sounded plausible, myth dead. She came back at me with American jibes, saying we eat 'cake with every meal'; examples used: donuts and cornbread. I was like "Cornbread's not cake." "It looks and tastes like cake to me" said Lydia. "well, it's not cake...it's....Cornbread!" I retorted. After the meal, we went to SaYNsbury's where they got dessert: apple pie and custard. I always thought custard was something solid but that turned out to be wrong when they offered me a bowl of some yellow looking liquid with a lump in it...turned out to be the apple pie in the custard. Still it was good. Ahh, I feel so English now....

2. Friday - Went to the Bath International Music Festival with Mabu and some of her friends from her program, where I didn't hear a lick of music..so much for 'music festival.' When we got there, they immediately wanted to "go get some donuts." Are these magical donuts?? They must be because that line was soooo long, I was like OK. When they came back with the 'magical donuts', I realized that they were just plain sugar or cinnamon donuts, but I guess since they don't really eat them here all that often, it's a must have when you actually do get a chance to eat one. But Ive seen them in the grocery store! But whatever. Started walking around the stalls, eventually Me and Mabu got separated from her friends; both of us bought some earrings for 2 pounds. Theyre so purty! As we waited for the fireworks to come on, I noticed that many people were carrying around gigantic cans of beer...I mean at least three times the size of a regular beer can! They even use an international music festival as an occasion to drink! But Im done commenting on how much they drink. Fireworks start, tried to take some pictures, came out crappy, fireworks over, Mabu commented on how lame they were. We walked around for a little bit more then decided to leave.

CLICK ON THE PICTURES TO GO TO MY PICTURES.


Image hosted by Photobucket.comMe trying on hats.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me and Mabu in the cold, cold night.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Speak now or forever hold your your peace