« Home | I'm not dead » | Hurt and Offended » | Music Downloader » | Sleepy » | I'm goin crazy? » | The Irish ARE drunks » | Blogger sucks..websites sucks..the whole internet ... » | Lil Jon stole from the Indians too » | Invasion of the rhinovirus » | Boots the Chemist » 

5.10.2005

Ahhhh.....Londres

...that's French for London for you "I took Spanish in high school" people. I've been in London, actually, just away from Bath, since this past Monday. I originally came cuz my aunt was to take me to get my hair done on Tuesday. My hair hasn't fallen out yet, so I guess it was done well.

So I stayed with Sharon and her family since then, and decided to leave on Thursday so I could be in the center of the city. Man, finding a hostel for the weekend was a bitch! I guess that's the popular time. But after calling around for a while, I finally found one, the International Students House. Hmmm, sounds fine but Lord, please let my roommates speak English, I thought. Of course they will! Everyone speaks English everywhere.

Got to the hostel. Im in a four-bed room, aka two bunkbeds like we're 10 year olds. I noticed one bed was already taken but the owner wasn't there. I had some urgent biznazz to care of, including faxing my petition form to the office at my school so that I can get this thing shortened to two months, BUT still get reimbursed, so I went a-searching to find someplace that'll fax. As I was leaving, one girl was coming into the room. Another one of my roommates, I guess. Missing my car, I started walking and I started to become tempted by the stores. I resisted and seeing as how everywhere I stopped in wanted to charge me an arm and a leg just to send a stupid page, I decided to fax it back at my hostel instead. I stopped in one shop that was selling discount tickets for the theater. I saw the Lion King poster and decided that I should at least see ONE show. So I decided to buy a ticket. 33 pounds...not too bad, thought I was getting a discount, but ill later find out I was wrong.

Got back, sent my fax, went back to my room to find a Caucasian young lady with a head full of braids. Tourist at Dunn's River Falls, anyone?? Her name's Ashley and she's from Canada eh, Newfoundland specifically. She's very nice! We talked for a bit and then I had to go to the show. She asked what I was doing later, and I said hopefully, using the drink voucher I got when I moved in, i.e. Id be in the bar. She said cool, that's what she wanted to do too, so I told her Id see her after my show.

I've come to realize I ALWAYS underestimate how much time it'll take me to do something, so I decided I was definitely gonna leave the house early. But OF COURSE, I was almost late to the damn show. I don't even know how. Oh yeh, I got kinda lost! But still, I broke out my effective method for finding where I'm going: ask people!! Eff maps.... So I was eventually pointed in the direction of the theater district and eventually, I bucked up on the Lyceum theater. Got to my seat, where I noticed flashbulbs going off even though the man blaring on the speakers specifically said photography is prohibited. Damn people don't listen! Which would include me, cuz of course, I broke out my camera too and tried to take a picture of the stage. It didn't come out right. "Try it without the flash," I heard someone say. Good idea-r! Took another one, with this one being only semi-wack. This suggestion came from the Asian young man named Yoon sitting to my right who would become my roll dog for this Lion King experience!

First act: was good, almost fell asleep a couple of times; Yoon DID fall asleep, and I woke him up one time and told him not to waste his money, but I let him sleep the other times. I think it was because seeing as how I've seen the movie umpteen times, I knew all the damn songs and the story up, down, backwards and forwards.

Intermission: me and Yoon really got to talking: Originally from South Korea, moved to Winnipeg[was the ONLY Asian in his school, he claims....I joked and told him there's always at least one other minority], now lives in Toronto[two Canadians in one day??], studied civil engineering [he said engineering and science is full of Asians...he said it, I didn't lol], this trip is a graduation present from his parents, he was going to Spain on Saturday, he's staying in the hostel I originally wanted to stay in["Oh my god, it's so nice." he says. Thanks for rubbing it in my face], the Asian equivalent for 'Oreo' is 'Banana,' yellow on the outside, white on the inside[when he told me that, I laughed so hard, and he said he was surprised I've never heard that before], he was going to see Phantom of the Opera the next night[he likes musicals a lot, but I don't think there are any gay Asians so there ya go], plus much more! He was talkative but not TOO talkative, ya know? The conversation just flowed and he helped me find my program that I paid three pounds for and thought I lost. So he's cool.

Second act: MUUUCHH better! Evidenced by the fact that we both stayed awake the whole time. This act including songs I hadn't heard before and stories that weren't really in the movie so I appreciated it much more. The costumes in the show were fantastic! The set decorations were spectacular. Overall, excellent show!

As we were leaving, we found out we were both headed in the same direction, so we walked together to the trains. We'd come to find out we had a lot of things in common! We laughed when talked about how we still referred to everything as 'dollars' instead of pounds; how the streets were short as hell, how they put the street names ONLY at the damn beginnings and ends of the streets rather than at every intersection like back in the US and Canada, and how nobody knew directions, just landmarks; the suckiness of converting the prices in your head[Canada is 2.5 to 1, so even worse than the US], etc.

I was so glad to have met him! He even said it before I did when he said that he could've just come to the show and not necessarily feel too alone, but good luck would have it that we would sit next to each other and talk so well. He was getting off at the second stop on the train, me the fourth, so he broke out his dying camera and snapped two pictures of us. I quickly wrote down my email address and bid him adieu. Looking back on it now, I should've suggested we hang out the next night after his show, but I wasn't thinking at the time. It would've at least guaranteed something to do on Friday night.

I came back to the hostel and woke up my Australian roommate. Ashley wasn't in the room so I decided to go to the bar to see if she might be there, which, lo and behold, she was, slightly drunk. I won't talk about this part much, but let's just say I had three drinks[actually six, cuz they were all "doubles"], talked with a bunch of Canadians, including one who said "Eh" a lot, tried to read some screenplay by some Goth kid, laughed hard as hell when Ashley said she thought "prawns" was the British word for hoofs[HAHAHAHA, im still laughing..who eats hoofs???], cheered on the Canadians as they did karaoke to the Bloodhound Gang, and walked in the bathroom as I was headed back to my room and had the lovely vision of a white girl's bare, soapy ass burned into my corneas forever more. I was tired as hell by the time the second day had come. Sightseeing and being a tourist is a mother. So for all those people out there who have ever been on some kind of vacation/extended outing with me and I've gotten cranky, I sincerely apologise. But overall, it was a fun experience! I didn't expect to find it so easy to be by myself and was glad to have met those people, especally Yoon.

The end.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

C'est la meme en espagnole, idiote...=).

Speak now or forever hold your your peace