« Home | Where do all the black people hang out? » | Delta, Delta, Delta » | Up, up and away!! » | My lovely bro » | My first time...eeek! » 

3.25.2005

continued.....

so i finally get to my 'room' aka a box! on the fourth floor no less! but it's cool. it's one of four rooms in a long corridor, where there are two bathrooms and a kitchen. i meet one girl who lives in the room beside me but english is obviously her 2nd or 3rd language. she will inform me later that i need a phone card to dial out of the complex!! WTF??? i can barely dial the phone numbers as is, now i got another hurdle to jump over. I swear...there are 10 different ways the english write their phone numbers, and i've only got the dialing of one way down so far. i still have no clue how to dial a cell phone. anyway...i IMMEDIATELY go to sleep. i tell myself i'll call my mother and sharon later to tell them im safe...too tired right now. slept for a good three hours, then went downstairs to the pay phone to phone my mummy. i couldn't tell the last time i saw a pay phone in the US! i think gas stations still have some, but i digress. im hungry as hell, so i start walking. Dr. Moss told me i live close to the 'city centre' so keep walking north and ill hit stuff.

i notice there's very little activity. i check my watch...it's approx. 7:15 pm. WTF? why are no businesses open?? i look at windows....stuff closes at 5pm, 6:30?? huh? can i get a 9pm, 10pm?? lol...jk. guess that's how they do it here. i buck up pan a pizza hut, the fanciest pizza hut ever!!! looks like a restaurant/jewelery store with recessed lighting and shit, the pizza all aglow as the patrons eat up the....what's that? 20 pounds for a 4-for-all?? i don't care if Queen Latifah is promoting pizza hut now, i still aint paying $40 for some sauce and dough!

i realize i gotta stop converting prices to dollars in my head because it is only making me crazy!! just take the UK price as is, man. anyway, i see a sign for a fish-and-chip shop, so i decided when in rome.... i decided to eat-in [not dine-in] rather than take-away [not take-out]. it was AIGHT. i think ill try the ethnic food next time as was suggested by a classmate. that was 6 pounds...$12 dollars for some deep fried fish and some big-ass fries?? damn..gotta stop converting. i left, forgetting to leave a tip, but as i will be informed later, NEVER tip. i walk around the town randomly, snap some pictures, see people at pubs. I get cold after 20 minutes so i head back to my room. i sleep for a couple more hours, wake up and go on the computer for a bit just so my battery isn't ALL the way dead, then back to sleep. gotta find a UK adapter for this thing.....I then sleep for 12 hours, the longest EVER in my ENTIRE LIFE!! but hey, time zone changes are a bitch.....

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Speak now or forever hold your your peace