« Home | Delta, Delta, Delta » | Up, up and away!! » | My lovely bro » | My first time...eeek! » 

3.25.2005

Where do all the black people hang out?

NEVER ask that question in this town, or most of England im sure....u will be looked at like youre crazy. more on that later.

Anyway, since it's been a day or so and ive probably forgotten most of what happened, ill just summarize. got to London-Gatwick Airport, walked 800 miles to baggage 'reclaim' [first difference!!]. so many corridors! if i saw one more, i was gonna scream!! anyway, got my HEAVY ASS luggage [OMG what was i thinking???] a kind man help me put it on a stroller. started towards the exit of the airport, where i was met by a family friend, apparently one of my uncle's ex-girlfriends, who now lives in London...a nice lady by the name of Sharon. of course she has a cool accent, sometimes i dont even know what she's saying lol. but i get used to it. she helps me buy a train ticket for Bath, i gotta connect in Reading...damn. but i buy a return ticket because it's like 10 pounds cheaper and Sharon says i can come back to london and stay with her to use my ticket. YAY! she waits with me for about 20 minutes and we chit-chat. she has three kids, the oldest 14..pity theyre not my age. that's what im looking for. she tells me what train to take to get back to visit her and i guarantee her i will.

off on the train ride. i see my first "messed-up grill." takes about 40 minutes to get to Reading. i struggle to get both suitcases and my duffle bag and my purse to other platform where the next train will be arriving. get on. arrive in bath in about 30 minutes. BROKE MY SUITCASE WHEEL getting off the train!! daaaammmmnnnnn. now the shit's TWICE as hard to pull. lawd help me jesus. waited for about 5 minutes for Dr. Steve Moss and his daughter, a girl with 'fiery red hair' as he puts it. Didn't see them. there's no elevator so i was told i had to walk down the back of the train station where there's a ramp. pulled one bag at a time, embarassing myself. then i waited a bit and asked some kid who was 'too cool for school' if i could use his phone [i dont have the nerve to call it a mobile yet]. i call Dr. Moss and he told me to stay put and he'll come get me. as i wait, i see kiddies galore...i guess school just let out. as i look up, i actually see blue sky and sun!!! england's not ALL rain and clouds. but apparently this is rare. Dr. Moss and Susan finally arrive. she looks like somebody on tv, i tell her, but apparently not cuz she said she's studying computer programming. we leave to get the key to my room...apparently im not staying in private residencies anymore but in 'post-graduate housing' aka where all the asian students live lol.

done for now. cheers.

E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

As far as I know, there aren't any "black" people in England. At least not the ones we're used to. But, don't worry, there probably aren't many white people like the ones we have here, either. I'm so excited for you and I'm perfectly green with envy! You sound like you're off to a rocky start, but you're enthusiastic, which will help you adjust well.

Speak now or forever hold your your peace